Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gospel Study

I'm curious, how do you do your gospel study in your own home? 
  • Do you read chronologically?  Cover-to-cover?  Topically?
  • For a certain amount of time or a certain number of pages/chapters?
  • Do you only read the Book of Mormon?  Standard works?
  • Do you study conference talks/other Church-approved lit (like "Daughters in my Kingdom" or Priesthood/Relief Society manuals)?
  • Do you use Preach my Gospel?
  • Do you journal what you study?  Do you ponder and pray? 
  • Morning or night?
  • What about your family scripture study--chapters or length of time?  From the actual books or from the Children's illustrated/story-based versions?  Do you just read, or do you discuss?  Do you ever act it out or do other challenges with what you read? 
I'm asking because I don't really have "one way" I do it.  Sometimes (like right now) I read the Book of Mormon cover-to-cover because I haven't in a while.  (Or I listen to it on my iPhone. :)  Sometimes I use Preach My Gospel to guide my study, and sometimes I study topically like I'm preparing a talk.  Usually once or twice a week I study from general conference talks now instead.  When I feel SUPER busy, I want to scripture mastery cards and just focused on thinking about that one scripture passage whenever I can throughout the day for 100 days (I kinda want to do this after I finish the Book of Mormon this year, because I forget most of them now).  I rarely journal what I study (unless I feel the need to) but sometimes it REALLY helps.  I like studying in the morning, when I'm fresh and ready to "put on my armor" for the day, but I tend to have more time in the evening, or need the comfort of the scriptures to be able to fall asleep at night.  Paul and I don't read together right now, because we didn't really get much out of it when we read cover-to-cover together, but we try to take time to talk about what we're studying.  I guess I'm trying to figure it all out myself and just wanted to have your input.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment